Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kids Klub

I've been struggling with how to write this and best capture the tone... I wish I were a better writer because it really makes me laugh! I guess in the end, I'll just write it down and if nothing else, it'll help me remember the basics of the story- I know I won't forget the tone! ;)

I try to go to jazzercise every day (which means I tend to go three or four times a week). The main reason I choose to drive 1/2 hour to Jazzercise rather than go to the gym with a pool that's 10 minutes from my house, is the Kids Klub child care. I know all the teachers that watch the kids and they do a really great job. NJ struggled with separation anxiety when he was younger, but now, he knows all the teachers there and rarely even notices me leave.

So, after my workout a few days ago I go to pick him up and they're outside playing in the giant sandbox / playground. As I stand there and wait for him to make his way across the yard I start chatting with one of the teachers and she tells me, "He fell down again today and has a little scrap on his face. I'm so sorry. It's just that he insists on playing with the older kids and they play a little rougher. He didn't cry though, so I don't think it's too bad..." I assure her it's not a problem. I know how stubborn NJ can be.

A few days later, I come to pick him up and they're outside again. Same thing: I standing waiting and one of the teachers comes over to chat. This time she says, "So, he has another scrape on his forehead. He wanted to go on the slide and he insisted on doing it by himself- he kept pushing my hand away. He did good the first time, but the second time he kinda fell into the sand right at the end. But he didn't cry, so I think he's ok..." Again, I assure her that it's fine and I appreciate he trying to help him, even though he never wants help with anything.

Another few days go by and I have another converstation. "No scapes today, but he got a bunch of sand in his hair when he fell trying to keep up with the bigger kids. We keep trying to convince him to play with the other babies, but he's just not interested..."



0 comments:

Post a Comment