Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Blueberry Candy Cobbler Helper

A good friend of mine made the yummiest blackberry cobbler a few weeks ago and I've been itching to try making once since.  Last weeknd, I tried the recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book (11th Ed), but it wasn't as good.  So I got her to send me her recipe so I could try it too.  Her recipe looked much simpler than my first try, so, in an effort to do more WITH my two year old, instead of doing stuff near him, I asked NJ to be my big helper while making blueberry cobbler.

It was an easy recipe and turned out to be a fun activity.  Of course, after he helped make it, I HAD to let him try some, which was pretty special given the number of desserts I usually let him have. (I seem to be saying that a lot more often these days- maybe I'm not as restrictive as I think I am?)  He LOVED it so much he was speechless- just jumped up and down. (I wish I had a video or picture of it!)

After I tasted it, I realized it was waaaaaay too sweet.  It tuns out, I accidentally doubled the sugar... Now I think I'll have to call this one Blueberry Candy Cobbler so he won't be disappointed at all the future cobblers he tastes.

Now, what to do with all this candy cobbler?  B and I had some with some ice cream and that was ok, but still very sweet.  I tried a little bit with my morning coffee, but it was too sweet for early morning.  It seems a shame to throw it out, but it's just soooo sweet...  Then, I had an idea.  Normally, we mix a bit of brown sugar and raisins with our old fashioned oatmeal in the morning- what if we mixed candy cobbler with it instead?  Ah... perfection!  This is the best oatmeal I've ever had!

Here's the recipe, as I SHOULD have made it.  If you're making it to mix with your oatmeal, just double the sugar in both spots! I might try using a smaller dish next time to get a thicker cobbler...

-----------------------------------
Berry Cobbler

1 stick of butter
1 c flour
1 c milk
1 c sugar
2 t. baking power
4-5 c fruit (I used blueberries)

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt the butter in a 9x13 dish.

Mix flour, milk, 1/2 c. sugar, and baking power.  Pour over butter.
Mix 1/2 c. sugar with berries and pour over flour mixture.
Bake at 350 until golden- about 30-35 min.
(The crust rises to the top and the berries sink to the bottom as it bakes.)
----------------------------------------------------

If you try it, let me know how it worked for you!

1 comments:

Linda said...

What a precious image of NJ speechless and jumping up and down in delight. First step to enjoying cooking is enjoying eating the results. And candy cobbler on oatmeal sounds like something I could eat every day. What a great solution.

Post a Comment