Saturday, March 7, 2009

Professor Abels?

Several weeks ago I sent my resume to the University of Phoenix with the thought of becoming a professor. In some ways it seemed like a long shot, but in other ways it seems like the most natural thing in the world!

When they emailed back asking me to come to their assessment I decided I should think about it. How much out-of-class time does it take to teach a class? Do I have that time? (Will anyone take me seriously?) Will teaching be as rewarding as I hope or is it like most jobs: there's a reason they pay?

Honestly, I really really love my Realtor work. Real Estate is interesting, every thing's tied to it, I get to work with people... it's a lot of fun! Do I really want to take time away from that and away from my son to teach? Fortunately, UofP is all evening classes, so, since NJ goes to bed at 7 every night, being gone one evening a week from 6-10 isn't so bad. In some ways it might be an ideal job! I have ALWAYS loved teaching in any fashion....

After some time letting it marinate in my mind I decided to go for it. On Monday (the RSVP deadline) I realized that the assessment was actually on Friday! eak! Well, I RSVP'ed for the assessment and went about getting ready. The assessment involved a 15 minute presentation on a topic related to the subject you want to teach, a "leaderless group activity," and a two page "analytic writing assignment" to be turned in on the day of the assessment. But first I have to fill out the formal on-line application. So, I started with that and found that I couldn't get past the first step because they required 15 graduate level credits in the subject you were interested in teaching... Well, my MBA was pretty well-rounded and there isn't any subject (except maybe the generic "management") that I have 15 credits in. So, I promptly sent them an email, on Tuesday, withdrawing from the process. I was disappointed, but a little relieved too- after all, that paper and presentation were going to be a lot of work and I have a pretty hectic week.

Then on Wednesday, I got an email back saying that I had misunderstood the requirements on the website, that I was eligible, and they would like me to come to the assessment. I tried to tell them I would have to wait for the next one, but they weren't thrilled about that. Then, my sister stepped in and convinced me to just go for it: "what's a little 15 min presentation and a 2 page paper?????"

So, with less than 48 hours to prep, I went for it. Honestly, once the presentation was created, I couldn't imagine what I would change if I had another month to prepare, so I guess it worked out. Plus, they gave me an extension on the paper until Sunday night, so really it wasn't so bad. I knocked that out during NJ's nap today (what a wonderful baby to choose today to take an extra long nap!). So now I guess we just wait and see what they think.... Friday's presentation seemed to go well and the leaderless group activity was painless, so.... time will tell...

2 comments:

Deanna said...

You rock!

Emily said...

Exciting! I hope it works out well for you...I think you'd be a great teacher!

Post a Comment