Tell me, what am I doing here typing away about nothing? This blog is like the Seinfeld of the internet. I was supposed to go to the grocery store (again) tonight and then by the book store to find some ideas for our small group's next study! I need to finish folding and stamping September's newsletter! I need to tidy up the house! I need to go to bed early!
What is it inside so many of us that likes to put off whatever it is we're "supposed" to be doing, to do something else? If I told myself i was going to write at least one blog per day for the next month, I'd suddenly find myself procrastinating blogging with scrapbooking... The mind is such a funny thing... When I was getting my MBA I'd often procrastinated studying with working out and then, another day, procrastinate working out with studying...
How do some people manage to just do whatever it is that they've decided to do? You know the type- always so disciplined about everything... I knew a friend who had been smoking for years and then one day he decided to quit- decided he was getting to old to be messing with his health. So, he quit. Just like that. No patches, no programs. Cold turkey. Pure discipline. He's like that though. Whatever it is he decided to do, he just puts his mind to it until it's done. Me on the other hand, I'm OCD one day and ADD another. Once, back in Michigan, I got all psyched up to paint the walls. I got my paint and roller out and started right in the middle of the big wall. But then I remembered you're supposed to cut in first, so I started taping the baseboards but got bored and decided that I could freehand it. When I got to the corner and worked my way up the wall, I realized I'm not THAT tall, so I ran to the garage to find the ladder. Of course, the garage was such a mess I couldn't find a ladder anywhere, so I started cleaning up in the hopes of stumbling on a ladder. Of course, I quickly realized that I needed some new containers to put the hubby's junk in. So I hopped on down to wally world and while I'm there I realized how hungry I was! I hadn't eaten all day! So I bought a few favorites, drove home and as I walked in, the first thing I saw was my husband looking at the half painted wall with furrowed eyebrows. The worst part was, I had to think a bit before I could remember enough to explain how I got distracted from the painting...
So tell me, where does focus and discipline come from and how do I get it?
1 comments:
I love the line "OCD one day and ADD another"!! I'm living that one. Or maybe my mind has actually exploded into tiny little splinters and I'm working with shards now.
Post a Comment